Power Cleans on Monday Mornings

 CrossFit | The Hang Power Clean

Happy Thursday Readers!

This is Luke tuning in for another blog about CrossFit. I have decided to journal about Monday this week because of how much I enjoyed the workout. There was a lot of barbell use during yesterday's workout from the warmup to the finisher/conditioning. I am pretty sore today and have been doing a lot of hamstring and leg stretches to make sure I'm working on my flexibility and recovering my muscles. 

This week I was not able to go to CrossFit as many times as I did last week as my workload has started to pick back up again. I was able to go on Monday and Wednesday but I will not be able to go tomorrow. As it is Fall Break, I am going to be going to Austin with my friends for a couple days. I will be giving my body a rest for a few days to recover from being pretty consistent with workouts for the past month. It will be nice to do something new this weekend since life has been pretty busy for the entire semester. 

Here was the Workout of the Day from Monday:

Warm Up 

3 Sets:

  • 30 Second Row
  • 5 Good Mornings 
  • 10 Elbow Punches
  • 5 Strict Press
  • 10 Squat Jumps 
Strength 
Power Clean + Jerk: 
  • 1 set 3 times at 40% maximum weight 
  • 1 set 1 time at 50% maximum weight 
  • 1 set 1 time at 60% maximum weight 
  • 4 sets 3 times at 70% maximum weight 
Conditioning
3 Rounds for Time:
  • 20 Alternating Pistol Squats 
  • 15 Burpees over Bar
  • 10 Power Clean + Jerk
Monday was mainly taken over by power cleans, which are really hard and effective movement. It is basically incorporating a deadlift and an overhead press into one flowed movement. My legs, back, and shoulders are the most sore from all of the power cleans that we did. As I usually like all of the workouts we do in CrossFit, one thing that I really did not that day were the elbow punches. For elbow punches, you put your barbell in your hands like you would for a front squat and punch out one elbow at a time. It just seemed kind of unnecessary to me. Besides that, I felt like it was an extremely effective workout. 

I believe that when you are working on building your body physically, getting rest and taking breaks is a key factor to success. Taking breaks from your routine or commitments can help assure that you will not be getting burnt out or even lose motivation. As much as I love going to CrossFit, it is going to be great for me to get out of town this weekend and take a break from my usual work-life and exercise routines. I will be back next week refreshed and motivated to push through a busy week and make the most out of my workouts.

Since next week is going to be super busy, I am already planning out my schedule to incorporate workouts to break up my day as stress relievers. Even though I am giving my body a break this weekend, I know my body is definitely going to need a few days to workout next week when things start to pick up after the weekend is over. As I am a huge proponent in being proactive to relieve unneeded stress for the future, I believe that I am setting myself up for success next week.

That's all I have today. Stay tuned to see how next week treats me and how CrossFit helps my week! 

Luke 



Comments