Box Jumping on Wednesday Afternoons

 BREAK IT DOWN: The Box Jump

Happy Friday!

This is Luke tuning in with another CrossFit update for the week. This has been one of my busiest weeks of college this year. I know I said that last week too, but I swear that every week gets busier as we progress throughout the year. I spent last weekend at my desk studying and grinding for three tests on Tuesday. This was not the most ideal way to spend my weekend, but I can confidently say that my hard work paid off on my tests! There is nothing more rewarding than working your butt off on studying and getting all the grades back that you wanted. 

This analogy ties very well into CrossFit as well. You begin the workout, push your body to the limits, and by the end you are very satisfied with what you just accomplished. I am going to talk about this past 'Workout Wednesday' because that was the hardest workout we did this week. Like I said in my first blog, Workout Wednesdays are always partnered workouts, which makes it pretty fun but also twice as hard. 

Here is the workout from Wednesday: 

Primer/Beginning of the Workout:

3 Rounds:

  • 30 seconds on the rowing machine
  • 30 seconds of box jumping 
  • 30 seconds of band pull-aparts 
  • 30 seconds of lunging 
Conditioning/Workout of the Day 

25 Minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds as Possible):
  • 30 Calorie Row
  • 10 Burpees
  • 30 Calorie Row
  • 10 Box Jumps
  • 30 Wall-Ball Sit-Ups 
The conditioning of this workout was brutal. By the end, I was dripping sweat as I would go to do burpees. An AMRAP is where you do as many rounds of the workout as possible. So, I would go right from rowing 30 calories on the rowing machine into 10 burpees and then back to the rowing machine. I do have to say that this pretty much fried my energy for the rest of the day. Yet, I needed to workout hard and sweat a lot to get my body loose from sitting and taking tests all Tuesday. By the time we go to box jumps in the workout, my legs felt like jello! I cannot tell you how hard it was to walk down the stairs of the gym after this workout was done... 

I think one of the best parts of CrossFit is that it helps hold me accountable to a consistent schedule. For example, I like to go at noon on Wednesdays. This motivates me to do some good schoolwork in the morning before I hit the gym and gets me on track to complete other tasks when I finish the workout. I usually like to knock out my most important items of the day in the morning because that is when I am the freshest. When I do not go to CrossFit and I do not have class in the mornings, I tend to get sidetracked and procrastinate. So, by going to CrossFit, I am holding myself accountable to waking up early in the morning, having a very productive midday workout, and then usually have enough time to hang out with friends/enjoy my afternoons. 

So, I challenge my readers to try to find a consistent and balanced schedule to follow next week and see how you all feel. Whether you are an early bird or night owl, find what works for you. One of the best things I have done for myself and discovered in college is how successful you will be with a well-rounded schedule. 

While I encourage my readers to try CrossFit, your balanced schedule could be just as simple as getting outside and going on a walk! When I find myself in a rut or see my friends struggling, I usually like to get outside or go with them to get a change of scenery. Balance is key to stress relief. :) 

I hope you enjoyed this segment of my favorite CrossFit workout. Stay tuned for next week!

Luke 

Comments